Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I should have been canning the tomatoes but this was more fun...

Remember all that rain I mentioned? Well, it turns out that cool weather and lots and lots of rain is not conducive for the ripening of tomatoes. Also, it seems that very few of the local Community Supported Agriculture farm members have been picking the green tomatoes from the U-Pick field. The farmer thinks they're waiting for the tomatoes to turn red. Ain't gonna happen, not with this kind of weather, anyway--they'll rot!




So, the OC has spent quite a bit of time looking through the Roma rows for even slightly blushing tomatoes and bringing them home by the bagful.


We've been layering them on cookie trays and in the window until they ripen, which they do...beautifully!



Today, I spent quite a bit of time turning a heaping dishdrainerful of "rescued" tomatoes into yummy (if I do say so myself!) garlic & onion spaghetti sauce. It's now divided into quart freezer bags and cooling fast. Tomorrow, before they spoil on me, I'll busily can up a bunch of jars of tomato chunks for winter soups, but today I had the fun of making spaghetti sauce from scratch! :D

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I am SO jealous!

1:38 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Yum yum yum .. once they're cooked of course.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home