Sunday, April 30, 2006

There aren't enough words

Last week, our speaker at church was Carl Wilkins, an ADRA aid worker who was the only American to remain in Rwanda throughout the 1994 genocide in which over 800,000 people were brutally murdered. His talk was deeply moving and spiritual but, due to the many small children in our congregation, he only touched lightly on a few of the many horrors of the genocide and alluded to his role in saving the lives of over 30 orphans. He is clearly still deeply affected by the experience.

Last night, on the big screen at church, several of us watched the heartwrenching 2004 PBS program Ghosts of Rwanda. (Click on that link to read more about what happened and even see video clips from the show.)

I wasn't sure I could handle the pain of watching this all-too-true film and I might well have chickened out except that the OC was asked to be the projectionist.

I knew it would be hard to watch; I've coordinated our church children's sponsorship of first one and now two Rwandan orphans for close to 15 years so this is a country that has long been very close to my heart.

After seeing how just two or three determined, courageous people were able to make a life-or-death difference for many people (where was the rest of the world?), I came away with a renewed resolve to do what I can to impact othere, even just a few, for good. The specific details as to how that might play out I've no idea, suffice it to say that I didn't sleep well last night...

What can you do to spare someone hunger or pain?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home