Thursday, October 20, 2005

Something odd is going on in the clothing industry.

I'd been noticing that my old faithful jeans are starting to get rather raggedy looking. So, off I went to Sears to pick up a couple of new pairs. It took awhile to find my favorite style...or rather what is currently passing for them. It appears that there have been a few tweaks to the style since I last bought jeans--there's a totally useless button in the front now and the pockets are cut on a different angle. No biggie--they still have that all-important (to IBS people, that is) elastic waist.

I'm wearing jeans in my "fat" size because my tired, old "skinny" size jeans are dirty. I grab a couple of pairs of jeans in my skinny size and take them into the dressing room just to make sure they will, indeed, fit. It's a good thing I do, too, because those things practically hang off of me! I double check the size and try on the second pair. It's baggy, too! What is going on?

Out I go to get the smallest size on the rack. That fits fine. Whew!

I weigh 35 pounds more than I did when I got married, yet (according to the tags) I now wear a smaller size of jeans than I did back before having children. Something weird is definitely going on in the clothing industry!

4 Comments:

Blogger Morris said...

I think you are just gaining weight and don't want to admit it.

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mama Bird said...

Oh, I freely admit it! I've averaged a pound a year over our 35 year marriage. Wouldn't you think that would mean larger clothes for a larger me? It certainly works that way for men's clothes; it's still measured in inches and if you get bigger so does the size of your clothing...and that's true even if you are a grumpy old man.

I think the clothing industry thinks aging women just don't want to admit that they are no longer teenagers. Hello out there--I'm a grown-up now, I can accept if my clothing size is a higher number than it was when I was 16!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I find this very very disturbing!!! But it does seem to vary depending on retailer.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

For instance the sizing even out towards Abbotsford - older population and more of European/German/Ukrainian ansesorty is bigger than closer into Vancouver with a high number of very tiny Asians.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home