Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Decisions, decisions

See, here's the deal. French has mystified me for years and years. So, I figured that now would be a good time to start working on demystifying it.

Except that, with the OC encouraging me to put some time into getting Spanish back into the "usable" catagory, I went to the library's website and requested the first few Destinos videos, and, on a whim ordered an old, outdated textbook to go along with them. So I watched the first one and...listening to the Spanish felt so right, like coming home again (unlike French which is still new and different and a huge challenge). But now I'm hooked on that soap-opera-like Spanish video and I want to find out how the story ends.

Except that first I need to do some (okay, a bunch of) Spanish vocabulary and grammar review...which means concentrating on Spanish for awhile. But all the components to French in Action have finally arrived and are sitting in a neat pile on D's desk just waiting for me...and making me feel guilty everytime I walk past them. ;-)

Hence my title. Do I start with the Spanish review and, once I'm comfortable again with Spanish, move on to French or dive right into French as I'd originally planned? Can't do both at once, brain would explode!

3 Comments:

Blogger Qwerty said...

The way I see it you own the French in Action (if I understand you correctly) and can work on that any time but the Destinos videos are interlibrary loan so will have to go back (unless you broke copyright...?) so you should do Spanish first.

That will also get your brain in shape with something that is already familiar to you before surging into the great unknown of French.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Sunny said...

I say go for the spanish. My understanding is that the grammar is somewhat similar for both French and Spanish so studying the Spanish will get you ready for French by exercising your brain muscles and also it might help you understand the french better when you get to it. Also, you know the old adage "strike when the iron is hot"? Well, baby, you're ripe for spanish right now. PS I hope "OC" doesn't stand for "old codger".

12:05 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Yes it does - he's admitted so himself, and wears it as a badge of honor.

Count my vote with Qwerty and Sunny: primero, espanol.

Grow from strength to strength, and leave the French until you've reacquired your spanish and are comfortable / fluent with it.

I know more French than any of the Filipino dialects my family and church friends speak, and I won't feel guilty about it because I live here in Canada where I have more opportunity to speak French than I ever will Tagalog, Ilocano, or Ilonggo.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home